Saturday, August 11, 2007

The trip there

Suddenly I feel so small. This is something that I wanted to do. To be isolated from everyone I know and love is difficult. The day and a half it took me to get here got me thinking about life and love and I realized that I am not isolated from everyone I know and love, I have their memories. I get to discover a new culture and love it. Susana and family have taken me and I already feel like part of the family and I know I am going to love this life style. It is family centered. At noon everyone goes home for an hour and a half to eat lunch with their family. I have not had a chance to explore the city yet. I slept in late today woke up ate a marvelous meal and drank some wine then coffee with the family. I met “Maria” the grandmother. (That is not her real name) She is the legal representative of the school. I love this woman already. We sat for an hour over coffee nerding out talking about educational issues until Susana told me that I need to go and write everyone to let them know I am ok. She says that despite what you think they are not “Indians” and they live a modern way life. She also sends her best to everyone who read this.

I need to vent about the airline service. Before I left I was joking with Katie about how I was probably going to be sitting next to geriatrics, obese smelly people, and screaming children on my flights to Tucuman. All of which I can proudly say came true. From Chicago to Miami I sat next to geriatrics. I had to buckle his seat belt for him and open his wine but one good thing came out of this. Wine, he purchased a bottle for me and we talked about his life. The man sells boxes that all I can say about it. By looking at him I thought he was going to up and die next to me but he was rather humorous during the flight. On the 9 hour trip I sat next to obesities that smelt of poo. This was terrible; his maness was folding over the armrest and sweating on me. However his wife was gorgeous, I didn’t understand. Three hours into the flight he switched spots with his child who used my arm as a pillow for the entire trip, I didn’t mind. From Buenos Aires to Tucuman the child in front me screamed non stop. I did notice if you want to be a flight attendant a combination of the following must be in place; terrible grey teeth, mustache, mud flap, 4 inch plus fingernails, long braided hair of many colors, or a very greasy persona.

I wrote seven pages in my journal yesterday but you don’t need to know it all. What you need to know is that I had a very happy birthday. I feel comfortable and welcome with this family in Tucuman. I am here to do something that I love. And I miss my dork. A lot!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you made it safely. sounds like youre staying with some great people...hope you have the time of your life down there.
danno

Gibs said...

Awww, am I your dork?.... how sweet. Hey, sorry I never called you back. Hope all is well and you had a good birfday. Looks like your camera takes good pics. I'm so unbelievably gelous of you it makes me sick. Keep the posts coming and keep it real.