Now playing: TV On the Radio - You Could Be Love
via FoxyTunes Chaos pure blissful chaos, this was my first day in the Argentinean school system. If an American teacher were here she would demand that every child be tested for ADHD and put on some type of drug. Good thing ADHD doesn’t exist it’s just a combination of poor parenting and lack of patients and proper teaching methods on the teachers part. But I shit you not pure Chaos. For a moment I wonder if Dr. Crossland didn’t send me down here to get a taste of my own medicine but I know she would never do a thing like that, or would she? I love the school here, wild, loud, full of energy. The children are not retained to sitting they get up and move as they please often rushing to the board to answer questions. All the wiggle room they can handle. The kids make physical contact with each other all day often shoving one another chasing and pushing and when they fall down they don’t cry and tattle. It’s amazing they are not pampered whiney silvers spoon fed, they are tough, strong, and confident. I know I am slamming American children right now but for the most part these kids would kick the hell out of SOME of the children I have taught some being most. But as different as they are the children here and there are still the same. They are constantly dirty with runny noses that are wiped up using their sleeve or the shoulder of their neighbor. They have scabs on their knees or hands at all times. They stick out their tongue when concentrating and they all find a way to slouch in their chair till the point they are laying down.
One observation I have made. The children here especially in the upper levels have an unbelievable grasp of the basic knowledge that is taught in all schools, and I got to thinking as to why that could be. For now the reason I believe this to be is lack of technology. As great as technology is made out to be I feel it CAN hamper a child’s ability to learn. Why…instead of having worksheets printed out and calculators doing operations they have to write the days work out and do the math by hand forcing computation of the mind. Yes computations of the mind. There are no short cuts here it’s not even a possibility. DunderMiff on that…for now.
But all in all it was an AMAZING day full of bright eyes, smiles, and as always boogery faces!!!
2 comments:
Brother! I miss you!! Love every minute of being in Argentina...you may never get the chance again...oh how I am envious of you! I hope I get to do half of the shit you do someday.
Ha! I love it. Glad Gibson informed me of your blog. :-)
Post a Comment