So I just arrived home and it is 2a.m. our time midnight yours. I realized why I loved traveling and experiencing new cultures. The world I thought I knew was smashed tonight. You know those stories you see in film and read about in books, I heard first hand experiences about them tonight. Thirty years ago
Pablo is a very interesting individual. Like most Argentineans I have met he is very passionate about what he does. He writes and has a radio show that he works with his professor at the university Pedro. I spend most of my days talking with Pablo about various issues. Last night when we were out on the town Pablo, Pedro and I talked about music and movies for hours. Pedro is older than us and is a professor at the university. As we killed some time and some wine he explained the government situation and how he is trying to change things through film. He is a linguistics and film professor, I believe. Steve you would love this man. So change of subject.
We are out at dinner and I have had nothing but traditional Argentinean food and I must say like most things I have discovered in this county I love it. The four us Pablo, Pedro, Gorgi (or something like that not really sure) and a girl whose names evades me even now ordered 4 plates of food and shared which is custom. The first plate was Locro a spicy bean and corn soup with the stomach of a cow for meat. Very tasty. Next was Sfijas a triangular empanada con pollo y carne. After that was Tamal a ground corn in a bowl with spices, it is almost like a warm oatmeal but F-ing delicious. Finally we ate Humita. Humita is cooked in a corn husk. It is a corn based meal with meat and spices as always very tasty. MMmmmm I will include pictures next time I eat the meals that do not have pics. Well that was last night and today was an adventure.
Today we went to their weekend house in the
Well in short I love this land and the people. I have learned more in three days than I have in years. So go shut your TV off get up from the computer screen go say hello to a stranger and start talking. There is always something to learn.
O Yea that is Flan, it is eggs and sugar some other stuff but in short its awesome. I give it 6.7 Schrutes out of a possible 10 Schrutes. Which brings me to my last point. The Schrute scale is named after Dwight Schrute if you don't know you should. The Schrute scale is trade marked by Tones Inc, all rights reserved.
2 comments:
Tones I'm so happy you are enjoying yourself!! Just know how jealous I am!! My parents and I arrived in Gainesville about noon today and have been moving and shopping ever since. My apt. finally is starting to look like home. You are gonna learn some amazing things and open your eyes to a whole other world in Argentina, as you've obviously already begun to do. Enjoy every minute of it and soak up every last drop!! Keep me updated--miss you and love you tons!!
Ali
Blood sausage and stomach cow?? I think I just threw up in my mouth. Gross. I would never survive there eating foods like that. Wine yes, food no. Glad you're having a great time. Love you!
Post a Comment